LEADERSHIP MONTGOMERY - Torchbearers Class "connecting"
The Torchbearers Leadership Class, was established in 2008 in response to the community’s need to attract and retain an educated population of young professionals, is a nine month class designed to equip young leaders with the skills and connections necessary to propel them to the next level of community leadership and professional success.
Skills such as team work, leadership development, critical thinking, and personal and professional growth and development are combined with exposure to critical community issues to enhance each members’ understanding of themselves and the community. Exposure to issues such as economic development, human services, education, and the role of government are often included within the curriculum. A small group project also provides an opportunity for Torchbearers to network with one another and with community organizations, culminating in a project that impacts the community in a positive way.
Who Should Apply?
The Torchbearers Leadership class is designed for young professionals who are involved in their community and desire to enhance their career, network with other young professionals and become more informed about and engaged in their community. The ideal candidate:
· Is between 22-40 years of age
· Lives and works in the River Region
· Is already engaged in the community or has a history of engagement in a former community
· Is willing to commit the necessary time to participate fully in the program
It is very important that a Torchbearer candidate has the full support of the organization or business the applicant represents.
BENEFITS OF PARTICPATION
Benefits of Participation for Organizations
Stronger Employees - Staff members who have a better understanding of who they are, their personal and professional strengths and the critical issues facing the community
Stronger Leaders within the Company - Employees who are well versed in team building, delivering presentations, and working with others as part of a team
Visibility for Your Organization - Visibility within the community as an organization committed to professional development and staff enhancement
Prominence within the Community - Prominence as an organization or business committed to the enhancement of the community through community projects and volunteerism
Benefits of Participation for Individuals
· Expand participants’ network of friends and acquaintances
· Enhance their knowledge and understanding of the critical issues affecting the community
· Equip them with the tools necessary for increased community involvement and the solution of critical community issues
· Encourage participants to examine their own beliefs and to seek facts and to delve deeper into the issues affecting us all
· Opportunitites for class members to work with others and with area non-profits to solve a real community problem
· Expand participants’ understanding of people and beliefs that may be different from their own
AFTER YOU GRADUATE . .
MEMBERSHIP ORGANIZATION for YOUNG PROFESSIONALS
The Emerge Membership Organization
Emerge Montgomery is a membership organization established in 2008 to help attract and retain the youngest and brightest young professionals in Montgomery. Members include young professionals under 40 from all sectors who desire to network and interact with one another, voice their opinions and grow socially and professionally. Included among the many Emerge activities are the sponsorship of the Young Professional of the Year event, assistance with the annual United Way Drive, periodic candidate forums, annual school clean up campaigns and other important activities.